Thursday, August 21, 2008

Why should I care about doctrine?

Even the word sounds boring: "doctrine."

It sounds like whatever is coming next is confusing, hard to understand, something for "professional" Christians.

Why should I bother with learning doctrine? I already know that I am redeemed and that I have repented. I'm already trusting in Christ that His Spirit is working through me.

Well, I thought that way before, but not now.
  1. First of all, doctrine just means "teachings." That's not so bad. As a Christian, I really love to learn about God, His character, and my relationship with Him. So, actually I really love doctrine, without using the "D" word.
  2. I want to keep on learning so that I can become more like Jesus every day. Without the teachings (doctrine) of God's Word, living the life of faith would be like trying to play football without goal posts, lines on the field, or even a set of rules.
  3. Most importantly, my eternity depends on it. If I learn something that is a lie, and I believe it wholeheartedly, I could be excluded from heaven.
The Bible says that those who don't love truth will perish. It doesn't offer me a waiver because maybe I wanted to believe the truth but someone taught me lies instead. In fact it says that God will allow those who don't love the truth to be deceived. Then He will judge them. (2 Thessalonians 2:10-12)

Do you yearn to know the truth? Is it important for you to know God on a deeper level day by day? Do you really want to know how God worked throughout history so that you can understand how He is working today? Are you eager to enter into His presence and hear "Well done, good and faithful slave?"

If so, doctrine is for you. In fact, if you love the truth, I think you are going to start loving doctrine.

Hear Pastor Bob's teaching on "Why Study Doctrine?"
Read study notes

No comments: